Wednesday 5 December 2018

Review: Mary Poppins (1964)

Some films are incredible no matter how many times you watch them. This is one of them.


Mary Poppins is loosely based on the book series of the same name by P. L. Travers. I've read the first book in the series, so I can say with certainty that this is one of the rare occasions where an adaptation is better for not sticking too closely to the source.

I'm sure everyone recognises the actors and knows the plot, so I'll just go straight to what I liked about the film.

First of all, I love the hilarity of Mary Poppins sitting on a cloud and... doing her make-up! πŸ˜† It's such an incongruous image that it always makes me laugh.

Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.

And then of course there's the delightfully eccentric Mr. and Mrs. Banks. Bert is hilarious, but I think we all agree that accent should be destroyed with fire. Jane and Michael are adorable, but little brats at the same time. "We won't hide your spectacles so you can't see/put toads in your bed/or pepper in your tea", anyone?

Mr. Banks

Mrs. Banks

The children

Bert

I absolutely love the bit where they jump into the drawing, and the dance of the chimney-sweeps always has me rolling on the floor.

But the film isn't all funny frothiness. There are some surprisingly sobering moments in it. "Feed the Birds" isn't just a memorable song; if you listen to the words, it's a haunting plea. And its instrumental reprise as Mr. Banks walks to the bank, all alone in the empty streets, is downright heart-wrenching.


Then of course there's the ending. Few musicals have a better ending: Mr. and Mrs. Banks no longer ignoring their family, and Mary Poppins off to help the next family who need her. Aww πŸ˜„

My overall opinion? Practically perfect in every way πŸ˜ƒ

Is it available online?: Not as far as I know. But I'm pretty sure almost everyone already has a copy of it!

Rating: 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment