Wednesday 19 June 2019

Review: Persuasion (novel)

It's taken me ages to finish this novel; I started it in February(!) and only finished it yesterday. I'm reviewing it today before something else comes along and distracts me.


Persuasion is Jane Austen's last novel, published posthumously in 1817. It's been adapted into four miniseries, a musical, several stage versions, and a radio drama.

Unlike most of Miss Austen's novels, there's very little comedy in this book. Yes, she still breaks out the sarcasm on occasion; for instance when describing Sir Walter. But it's not as dryly satirical as Pride and Prejudice, and the characters aren't quite as caricature-ish as in Northanger Abbey.

Years ago Anne Elliot refused Captain Wentworth's proposal. Now he's returned to the neighbourhood, and there's no way for Anne to avoid meeting him. She's sure he's lost interest in her and is courting another woman. Meanwhile, along comes the apparently-honourable Mr. Elliot, Anne's distant cousin, who wants to marry her but who she doesn't like.

Some characters make you want to give them a hug and tell them everything will be all right. Anne is one of those characters. I feel so sorry for her for most of the book, and there were many moments when I wanted to reach into the page and box the ears of her stupid, selfish family. When it looked like Captain Wentworth didn't love her anymore I wanted to yell at him. But thankfully it turns out all right in the end 😄

It wouldn't be a Jane Austen novel without a slimy scumbag to despise, and Mr. Elliot is right up there with Wickham and Willoughby. The way he treated his friend makes my blood boil 😠 On the slightly less slimy but still disgusting side there's Sir Walter and Elizabeth, who practically ignore Anne's existence. Unfortunately none of them get any true punishment for their behaviour. But the ending is happy enough that I can almost overlook this.

This is definitely one of Jane Austen's best novels. I enjoyed reading it, even though it took me so long 😄

Is it available online?: Yes, on Gutenberg.

Rating: 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment