Wednesday 5 June 2019

Review: Prince Caspian (novel)

Of the Chronicles of Narnia books, this is probably the only one I don't feel very strongly about, one way or the other.

I admit, I chose this cover only because it has Reepicheep on it 😊

Prince Caspian is both the fourth and the second installment of the Narnia series. It was published second, but it's chronologically fourth. It was first published in 1951. It's been adapted into a miniseries, a film, and a stage adaptation.

A year has passed since their first trip to Narnia when the Pevensies are called back to it. They find far longer has passed in Narnia. Several hundred years, in fact. Narnia is now ruled by the Telmarines. King Miraz tries to have his nephew Prince Caspian killed, but Caspian escapes and -- with the help of a group of Narnians and the Pevensies -- fights to overthrow his uncle.

The main problem with the book is that the circumstances leading up to Caspian's escape are narrated by Trumpkin after they happened. The Pevensies are left sitting in Cair Paravel while we get an extended flashback to why they're in Narnia, which confused me endlessly when I was trying to figure out what was happening when. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered trying to work out a timeline when Narnia's time is nothing like ours. It only leads to headaches.

I cheered when Lucy and Susan meet Aslan, but what happened afterwards left me scratching my head. What on earth was the point of characters from Greek Mythology suddenly appearing in Narnia? And why are they having a party when there's a literal battle raging a short distance away? 😕

Miraz's death is a real anti-climax. I expected him to die in battle with Peter. Instead he's betrayed and murdered by his own lords. But at least the walking trees coming to the rescue was awesome!

By far my favourite thing about this book is Reepicheep. In the words of film!Lucy (and at the risk of offending him), "Oh my gosh, he's so cute!" 😄 I don't even like mice, but Reepicheep is absolutely adorable. He's also the source of most of the book's humour, like when Dr. Cornelius wondered if he was a grasshopper 😆

The book has its flaws, but I enjoy it anyway. And it's certainly better than its film adaptation, which is... disappointing.

Is it available online?: I don't think so.

Rating: 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment