Wednesday 1 January 2020

(Not Really a) Review: New Year's Book Resolutions

Happy New Year! 😃 Almost everyone makes New Year's Resolutions today. I'm no exception. But my resolutions are a list of books I intend to read in the New Year. This is the top 5 on my list.


The Warden is the first in the Barsetshire series. I want to read literally anything by Anthony Trollope, and this is the top of the list. If it's anything like Barchester Towers, this book is well-worth reading.


He Knew He Was Right, also by Anthony Trollope, is one of those books I want to read because I saw the miniseries based on it. (I'll review the miniseries. Eventually.) Since I already know the plot it shouldn't take too long to read. Though "shouldn't take too long to read" is not a phrase I'd ever expect to use about a Victorian novel.


It's about time I read an Agatha Christie novel! I chose Murder on the Orient Express mainly because I love the film. Some people don't like reading mystery novels when they already know the ending, but I don't mind. It's always fun to spot the clues along with the detective, and when you know the end you see things you'd never have noticed before.


Lark Rise of Candleford is another of those books I want to read because of its adaptation. But in this case, I want to see just how badly the series butchered it. Unlike the other books on this list I've already started this one. So far it's slow going. It's not actually a novel; it's a collection of scenes from the author's childhood.


I've only read one of Shakespeare's works before. I was twelve, Much Ado About Nothing was required reading for English... and it might as well have been written in Ancient Egyptian, for all I understood of it. That experience put me off reading any more of his works for years. Now I've decided to try again. Romeo and Juliet is such a well-known play that it should be easy to follow. (I hope.)

Will I manage to read these and the other books on my list? Time will tell. If I review any of them, you'll know I've finished them. If I don't, I probably haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment