Wednesday 9 October 2019

Review: Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Finally, after several years of thinking "I should watch this" and promptly forgetting to, I sat down and watched this film. It isn't what I expected.


Howl's Moving Castle is a 2004 animated film by Studio Ghibli, based on Diana Wynne Jones' novel of the same name. There's both a Japanese version and a version dubbed into English. I watched the Japanese version with English subtitles.

I wrote this review while watching the film, so it's basically a list of things I thought as I watched it. Probably not a coherent list, but anyway.

The moving castle is the very first thing we see in the film. It looks a lot more monstrous and dilapidated than I pictured it in the book. (Admittedly, I haven't read the book since I reviewed it a while ago. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things.)

...Why are there planes flying around? I definitely don't remember them in the book 😒 To say nothing of all the trains, cars and steam-powered buses. And the soldiers everywhere. Clearly the film has changed quite a lot.

They kept Sophie and Howl's first meeting! But changed the circumstances. I'm torn between cheering at Howl protecting Sophie, and grumbling at the difference from the book. At least the flying scene is cool. That's one change I actually don't mind.

After Sophie leaves Lettie we get a weird scene of two masked puppets(?) carrying a sedan chair. Then someone in the chair gathers black sludge(??) wearing hats(???) into a jug(????). What in the world is happening? I assume this is the Witch of the Waste's first appearance, but it left me scratching my head.

I love the animation! There are a few scenes where I completely forgot about what was happening and focused on how incredibly beautiful the animation is 😍 Makes it all the more jarring when the Witch of the Waste appears. She's utterly revolting, even more than I imagined in the book!

Like in the book, the Witch of the Waste curses Sophie and turns her into an old woman. Like in the book, this leads to her staying with Howl. And like in the book, she meets the scarecrow along the way. I was expecting the scarecrow to look at least mildly frightening. Instead he's actually almost cute. The constant grin is rather off-putting, though.

Calcifer is also a lot cuter than I expected. But he's just as funny as his book counterpart 😄 For some reason Michael is a small child instead of a teenager. This is another change I definitely don't approve of. Why did they make such an unnecessary change, anyway? And what's all this about a war?

Howl's reaction to Sophie inviting herself into the castle is much calmer than I expected. They aren't nearly as sarcastic to each other here as in the book. Very disappointing 😞

What on earth is that scene where Howl-as-a-bird is chased by bats wearing hats? Clearly the film treats the book's plot as a guideline that it isn't essential to follow. It's never a good sign when an adaptation has that attitude.

The film hasn't explained yet that Sophie is a witch too, so the scene where she's returned to her real appearance makes no sense 😒 Especially when seconds later she's an old woman again. The film also doesn't explain what's going on with this war they've added to the plot. The book managed just fine without airships dropping bombs and flyers; why did the film decide it needed them?

Howl is as dramatic as his book counterpart, even though he's not as sarcastic. I roared with laughter when he throws a fit after dying his hair 😆 And I liked his post-tantrum conversation with Sophie. Especially when he comes up with the "pretend you're my mother" scheme.

I don't remember any Madame Suliman in the book. What happened to Mrs. Penstemmon? And why is there yet another villain when we already have the Witch of the Waste and Miss Angorian (who apparently isn't in the film)? As for that weird fireworks display and Howl turning into a bird... the mind boggles. This was the moment when I stopped expecting the film to be anything like the book.

For some reason the Witch of the Waste loses her memory and ends up in Howl's castle. Goodness knows why. And Sophie switches back to her young self apparently without noticing it, for reasons that aren't explained. Or is that a dream sequence? I've given up trying to understand this film.

I love the scene where Howl and Calcifer change the castle's interior! And Howl showing Sophie the field of flowers is so cute 😍

Those blob-shadow things are disgusting to look at, and their attack on the castle is pretty horrifying 😨 Exactly nothing in the film's climax is in the book; not the bombs, not Howl as some sort of bird monster, not the blob men, not the Witch of the Waste lounging around in Howl's castle. I try to remind myself the film isn't a faithful adaptation, but this still grates on me.

At least the end is sort of like the book's. The scarecrow's curse is broken, the Witch of the Waste won't cause any more trouble, and Howl and Sophie will live happily ever after.

I didn't enjoy this film nearly as much as I expected to. I thought it would be close to the book, but instead it has the same characters and a different plot. Maybe if I hadn't read the book I'd enjoy it more. As it is, though, I kept getting annoyed by all the differences.

Is it available online?: Not as far as I know.

Rating: 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment