Wednesday 16 October 2019

(Not Really a) Review: Which Pride and Prejudice Adaptation is the Best?

I'm trying something completely new today. Instead of reviewing just one work, I'll compare the different versions of Pride and Prejudice that I've seen. Which one is best? (You probably already know the answer.) Which one is worst? (Again, you probably know. What you might not know is that it has competition.)


First and more importantly: the novel itself. Without this book, none of the other versions would exist. It's the historical romance novel in many people's minds. Most of the thousands of Regency novels written since owe something to it. Mention Jane Austen and this is the book everyone will think of. In short, it's practically perfect in every way 😍

Verdict: The absolute best.

Next up: the 1940 film. Starring actors who don't suit their characters at all, wearing costumes from the wrong era and country. Features a Lady Catherine who's amusing in all the wrong ways, and a Lizzie and Darcy who are utterly unconvincing.

Verdict: I used to think this was the worst Pride and Prejudice adaptation. It's since moved up the list to second-worst.


Third time's the charm? Nope. The best I can say for the 1980 miniseries is that it's not as bad as some versions. Frankly, it's dull. I struggled to stay awake through it. Where are the memorable characters and witty dialogue of the novel?

Verdict: Not good. Not terrible. Just average and disappointing.


Finally! The 1995 miniseries is very nearly as good as the novel. I love every minute of it. I have whole episodes memorised. This series is the perfect example not only of how to properly adapt Pride and Prejudice, but of how to properly adapt any novel.

Verdict: Best. Version. Ever.


And last of all here's the worst. I've already said everything that can be said about the 2005 film. So let me summarise: KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Verdict: Utter abomination.

I hope you enjoyed this series of mini-reviews! (Or should that be miniseries of reviews?) Note that this only includes P&P adaptations I've seen. There are plenty of others I haven't seen. But I think it's safe to say none of those others will ever be better than the 1995 series 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment