Wednesday 13 May 2020

Review: Around the World in Eighty Days (novel)

Why yes, I am reading a lot of Jules Verne's novels lately. Thanks to the current insanity I'm barely able to travel to the shops, but by reading Verne I can travel all over the world -- or even to the moon.


Around the World in Eighty Days is an 1872 novel by Jules Verne. It's one of his most famous novels and has been adapted many times. (The most famous -- and best -- adaptation is of course the 1956 film, which is incidentally one of my all-time favourite films.)

Jean Passepartout wants a quiet life working for someone who doesn't travel much. Unfortunately for him he starts working for Phileas Fogg on the very day Mr. Fogg accepts a wager to travel around the world in eighty days. During the journey they face unexpected delays, rescue an Indian princess, and run into near-catastrophe on multiple occasions. To complicate matters, a detective is convinced Mr. Fogg is really a bank robber, and he follows them all over the world in an attempt to arrest him.

I've read the book at least ten times, but every time I start it again it's like I've never read it before. Of course I know that Passepartout will rescue Aouda, and that Mr. Fogg will buy a new boat and reach England in time, and that Fix will discover he's made a mistake after arresting Mr. Fogg. Obviously I know how it ends, and that there's a plot twist ahead even when all seems lost. Yet somehow I never think of that when I'm reading it. The story is so absorbing that I might as well not have a clue what happens next.

When you're not able to travel to foreign countries in real life, reading about them is the next best thing. I expect I'll reread this book frequently over the next few weeks.

Is it available online?: Yes, on Gutenberg. (I think this translation is reasonably good.)

Rating: 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment