Sunday 17 May 2020

Review: The Pirates of Penzance (1983)

Logically this is the sort of film I should hate. In fact I probably would hate it... if it wasn't so genuinely and intentionally funny in how ludicrous it is.


The Pirates of Penzance is a 1983 film based on the 1880 opera by Gilbert and Sullivan. Apparently there are some differences between the music in the film and the opera, but the plot is the same.

I only recognised two actors:
Kevin Kline (Maurice in that horrific Beauty and the Beast remake) as the Pirate King
Angela Lansbury (Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd 1982) as Ruth

The plot is exactly the comedic absurdity you'd expect from a Gilbert and Sullivan opera. A mix-up leads to Frederic becoming an apprentice pirate. Our story begins on the day he's released from his apprenticeship (or so he thinks). As soon as he lands on the shore he meets Mabel, daughter of the very model of a modern Major-General, and they fall in love at first sight. Unfortunately Mabel's father does not approve. Hilarity ensues.

From every standpoint -- except the cast and their singing abilities -- this film should be a catastrophe. The picture is of roughly the same quality as my webcam, and the cameraman (like the majority of 1980s cameramen) had apparently never used a camera before. There are moments that make me wonder if the director thought he was adapting Alice in Wonderland instead of The Pirates of Penzance. The film's so absurd it often comes perilously close to later abominations like Moulin Rouge! and Anna Karenina.

And yet to paraphrase a quote I saw on Tumblr, I can't praise it in any way except by saying I loved every minute. I laughed so much I got a stitch in my side. The songs are so catchy that I still can't get them out of my head.

If you want something to cheer you up, try this film! It's one of the best cures for a bad mood I've ever seen.

Rating: 8/10.

Is it available online?: Yes, on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment